Saturday, May 3, 2014

Your kids don't care

Mommy me wanna do to da zoo.
We just went yesterday Searkie.
Yederday?!
Yup, Yesterday. Don't you remember we met mommy's friend there and her baby. You played on the dinosaur rocks?
Oh yeah. Searkie wanna do to da zoo adain. TODAY!!!
Sorry bud probably not today, Mommy has to go grocery shopping and get the stuff for your birthday dinner tomorrow, and buy all the things we need to make your spider man cupcakes. I got to do laundry and clean up this place. The the dogs need to go for a (I stopped mid sentence. Realizing Seark has already checked out) I'm sorry Seark there is just too much to do today. Okay?
Otay mommy. 
Wanna get your shoes on and you can come to the store with me?
No tanks. Me wanna do to da zoo today. 

All of the things that I planned on doing today were for Seark. I wanted to straighten up the house so it didn't look like a bomb hit it when my mom and dad come over tomorrow  for Seark's birthday dinner even though they don't care what my house looks like. I planned on going grocery shopping to get all Seark's favorite things for a his special brithday dinner. Also on the list was blue cake mix and spider man decorations because he asked for spider man cupcakes. I figured I cold make the cupcakes today so tomorrow isn't too hectic. After all that is done I have to go buy Seark's birthday present because I loooove last minute shopping. I will get him to bed on the early side. Wrap his gifts. Decorate the cupcakes. Throw on a load of laundry while that stuff is getting done. Hopefully finish everything by 10 pm and go to bed at a reasonable time.

I threw on some make up. My flip flops. Grabbed my keys and headed out the door. Seark was laying on the couch. I told him daddy and Aidan are in the toy room playing he should go join them and I will be right back.

No tanks. Me wanna do to da zoo for my bertday. 

I stand there thinking for a minute about all the things I have to do and that if we go to the zoo none of them will get done. It's noon already and I have not gotten a thing accomplished. Truthfully although most of the things on my to do list are for Seark he doesn't care about any of them. Tomorrow we I could spend all day cooking the perfect dinner or I could grab McDonald's. Seark wouldn't care. I could create the most perfect spider man cupcakes made with love and just the right amount of food dye or I could run to Walmart in the morning and buy pre made crapcakes. Seark wouldn't care. He would eat and enjoy either one. All the things I wanted to do today to make a perfect tomorrow for him are clearly more for me and what I want. Seark doesn't care. He wants to go to the zoo. Today.

Your right Searkie it is your birthday and we should do what you want to do. Let's go to the zoo today.


I could totally end this right here. Short and sweet. I am sure you have already gotten the point of this story is that your kids have different priorities and theirs may be more in order than yours. I could just end it right here.... or I could tell you about our day at the zoo.

I won't bore you with every last detail but here were the highlights.While today I learned that dinner and cupcakes are things that Seark doesn't care about I also learned that Aidan doesn't really care for the zoo. Mostly the walking. Also that I wouldn't let him buy another toy. Oh yes and lets not forget the lack of "entertaining" animals. Perhaps Aidan had the word zoo confused in his little brain with circus. He was expecting juggling orangutans, lions jumping through fire hoops, something. Something more than these "boring" "lazy" animals that were JUST LAYING THERE!!!! They were soooo lame. Lazy animals. Because it is everyday you get to see a baby gorilla. That was so not cool at all.

Seark loves butterflies. I really had no idea the butterfly house would be such a big hit with him. He couldn't get enough of these fascinating, brilliantly colored little creatures. He was thoroughly enjoying himself. Went as far to take his binky out to smile for a picture. Unfortunately just as I went to snap it his brother came barreling through like a bull in a butterfly garden knocking Seark's face into the giant metal butterfly sculpture resulting in a fat lip. Up until that point Seark was loving it. He wasn't the biggest fan as he left there with a bloody swollen top lip and tears streaming down his cheeks.

Not everywhere in the zoo accepts credit cards. We paid for our zoo membership with a credit card. we paid for the pictures of the kids on the dinosaur safari with a credit card. We paid for popcorn, a pretzel, and two bottles of water with... you guessed it a credit card. We passed a stand selling dipping dots. That disgusting not really sure what it is "ice cream" that my kids are drawn to like flies to light. Two very small cups of this chemical cream cost $11.43. I hand over the credit card I have been using at the zoo ALL DAY. The cashier pushes the card back to me shaking her saying "no. sorry. no credit. jut cash." what? why? there is a visa/master card logo on her cart. I point to that and she says again the same as before. Shit. I NEVER have cash on me and apparently neither does my husband. The boys have already dug into their tiny bowls of little frozen balls so it is too late to pass on them. The line gets longer by the second as I frantically dig through my bag. I manage to scrounge up $10.75 between singles and sticky change. Don't ask I have no idea what was on that money. I am short 68 cents. 68 freakin' cents!!!!! You gotta be kidding me?!? The cashier begins to explain where the atm is. Not the woman next in line or the one behind her but the woman three people down the line walks over to me and says "How much do you need? The atm is a hike from here."  I tell her 68 cents. She hands the cashier $1.00 and says to me "I got it. Don't worry. Enjoy the rest of your day." I have never been so happy to receive such a small amount of money. I could not thank her enough. She assured me she was happy to help and then said something I will never forget. "It's really no big deal. It has happened to me before too. Besides you look like you have your hands full with all those boys.... I don't even think you noticed your little one threw up in your shirt." I was smiling and nodding already knee deep in embarrassment when I realized what she said. I was wearing Ry in the baby carrier on my chest. Indeed he had puked all over my "boobs full of milk" cleavage and I had not even noticed. Awesome. I wished me and my short changed, pukey boobed, baby wearing, ass could just disappear.

During all of this Seark and Aidan were completely oblivious. I looked over at them and their messy faces, filthy hands, and now stained shirts and had to laugh... clearly they didn't care. It's a shame that they are so carefree and not wise enough to know what a luxury that is. There are some days I wish I could be more like them... and just not care.

No comments:

Post a Comment