Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Welcome to the jungle

My husband works long hours. He is tired when he gets home. Our weekends are filled with family activities. He doesn't have much free time. Our yard highlights this lack of spare time the most. It has been severely neglected. It is looking very... tropical... jungle-esque you might say. My neighbors probably use different descriptive words to articulate the current state of my yard. The grass is tall. Tall enough that we could lose our small dog out there. So if you can't see the dog imagine how hard it is to find the poop with out stepping in it. Our rose bushes are overgrown. To the point I feel like it may be purposely attacking me every time I sneak past it in an attempt to get my attention. As if to say CUT ME!!! I LOOK LIKE A HOT MESS!!! The mulch is sparse and needs to be replaced. The river rocks once neatly placed have been kicked and tossed by my kids and now just look like.... kids tossed and threw them all over the place.

I know you are thinking "why not just call a landscaper?!". Every house around me is probably thinking the same thing. I have called. And called. And left messages. And called again. We have been black listed from the landscaping community. Although you would think it is because the shrubs are scarier than Seymour in little shop of horrors it is not. We had a landscaper. He did a great job. I was friends with his wife. Best friends. Until we weren't friends at all. After a falling out I made the rash decision to tell my friends husband that we didn't need him to do our yard anymore. Clearly at the time I didn't think that we would not be able to get anyone else to come here the next week. I can't be sure but I am fairly certain he had us black listed. It has been three years since we have had someone here to take care of our landscaping. I paid my brother to do it for awhile but he didn't really have the time either. So now we are those people. The ones that have the trashy looking yard. But not for long.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I left an absolutely pathetic message or three on one more machine. He must have heard the desperation in my voice. Finally someone was coming to get this yard in order. Hallelujah!!! Over the phone he said I am sure it is not as bad as you say and laughed off  my pleas to come as soon as possible. I am sure he thought I was a drama queen that just really wanted the lawn done this week. He came today to give me an estimate. He walked around the yard. Words escaped him. It was bad if not worse than I said. Still he was willing to take it on. Thank you Jesus! And it is only going to cost me $500+ dollars. It seems lately everything we do is costing us $500+. Either way it is going to get done and my house will no longer be the disgrace of block. 

No comments:

Post a Comment