Saturday, May 24, 2014

This isn't Burger King

What are we having for dinner?
Pasta.
What kind of pasta? Does it have garlic or onion?
You know it does. There isn't really anything Italian made with out garlic and onions.
DO YOU WANT ME STARVE?! I AM NOT EATING THAT. I'M NOT. YOU NEVER MAKE WHAT I WANT. GARLIC IS SO GROSS. ONIONS ARE EVEN GROSSER. I'M GONNA STARVE.
Oh Aidan, what would you like for dinner?
I don't know. Do we have enough stuff to make tacos? (on his tacos he loves salsa which has tons of onions Apparently onions aren't gross all the time) 
I will make tacos tonight but I don't want to hear anything tomorrow when I make pasta .... okay? 
Deal. Thanks mom. 

I put away all of the ingredients I have already taken out to make pasta and meatballs. Take out every thing I need to make tacos and some Spanish rice. I cook dinner and set the table. Yell into the kids that dinner is ready. They both race to the table and of course fight over the same seat despite that we have 6 chairs and none are being used. 

Ewwwwwww. What is this?
Tacos... that is what you asked for!
Wait what was the thing you made last week with tacos shells?
Steak Fajitas? 
Yeah them. That's what I was thinking of. Make that. I don't want tacos.
(Looking around the kitchen)
Mom! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT THE WALLS?! DID YOU HEAR ME? I WANT FAJITAS NOT TACOS!!!
Oh I am sorry. I was looking for the Burger King Sign. Ya know what I don't see it. You are not at Burger King. This isn't have it your way. You can eat the tacos or you can have....nothing. I am not a short order cook. I am your mother. This is what I made for dinner. Take it or leave it.
OH. MY. GOD. YOU ASKED WHAT I WANTED AND NOW YOUR NOT GONNA MAKE IT?! THANKS MOM. THANKS ALLOT. 

I simply say your welcome with a smile on my face and accept the fact that Aidan will not be nominating me for mother of the year anytime soon. And despite that he was initially completely repulsed by the sight of the tacos he ate them and the salsa with the onions with no problem at all.

Once upon a time I indulged Aidan's every appetition. Making meal after meal trying to satisfy his tiny taste buds. Those days are gone. With three varying palates I have no time to make everyone their own special meal. Although if we ate what Seark wanted every night life would be easy. Unlike Aidan who is never satisfied even at the finest restaurant, Seark could eat peanut butter and jelly with a glass of milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

There are all kinds of theories about what makes kids picky eaters and how to change that. The only thing that has broken the cycle of "but I don't like/want that" is the absence of options. I have literally taken options off the menu. You get what you get and contrary to the saying you can get upset and even decide whether or not you eat. The kids are more than welcome to turn down dinner for the night. Knowing that there is not a second or third option waiting in the wing they usually just eat.

My constant need to accommodate I think really just came from my want to be a good mother. I wanted a happy child. I wanted to do things that made him happy. In many ways food is one of the ways we show our kids we love them. We make them chicken soup when they are sick. Reward them with a special treat when they have been really well behaved. Cook their favorite meal on their birthday. Giving into their every whim doesn't make them happy. It gives them a sense that they are the one in charge. After awhile Aidan was under the impression that it was my job to cook him whatever he requested (demanded). He was the king and I was his burger flipper. Until I came to my senses. The queen doesn't take food orders. She runs the damn castle! I took away the options and regained my castle. Aidan my not love dinner every night, but he eats. I just have to remind him every now and then this isn't Burger King. "Have it your way" doesn't apply here.

No comments:

Post a Comment