Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tattooed girls are pretty (gross)



 

 

Today was a beautiful almost perfect day. We went to the zoo. The sun was shining. My boys were all behaving. I nursed Rylan in public several times with no flashing or major incidents. It was a good day. While we were at the zoo we were standing on line for the train. The girl behind us in line complimented Aidan several times about how beautiful his eyes are. Each time he gave her a very underwhelmed “thanks”. Aidan does have gorgeous eyes. They are a very pale greenish bluish kind of yellow gray? They are unusual and do get noticed often. When we got on the train my husband said to Aidan “check you out little stud getting hit on by a pretty girl already” to which Aidan replied “pretty… gross”. My husband was incredulous. What?! That girl was pretty! Why would you say pretty gross?!

The girl that so generously complimented Aidan was indeed very pretty. I was curious as to what was going through his little head also. Aidan shrugged his shoulders and said “Her face was pretty but her arms were all tattooed. That’s gross”. (My arm is all tattooed also) My husband started laughing and said you better watch out you are going to hurt mommy’s feelings.  Aidan looked at my arm and then looked up at me. I could see in his brilliantly colored eyes that he was searching for the right thing to say. The right thing being something that wouldn’t hurt my feelings. Aidan is never at a loss for words. It took him a minute and then he said something I always say. Whenever Aidan picks out his own clothes and asks if I like what he is wearing I always reply “Do you like it? Your have to wear it. As long as you like it that’s all that matters” So there on the train at the zoo my 7 year old son said to me “Do you like your tattoos? They are on you. As long as you like them that’s all that matters”.

Shit. I actually hate the way that sounds coming from someone else… especially my kid.

I only said back your right that is all that matters. I looked at my arm. Looked at Aidan. I do like them. I turned back around and thought honestly to myself I do like them and that is NOT all that matters. I felt hurt. I don’t even know why. Maybe because his initial response to the other girls tattoos was so honest and innocent. He honestly thinks tattoos are gross. He innocently said so without hurting me as his intention. I guess the real realization was there was something about me that my son doesn’t like and had never said so to spare my feelings.

Aidan has taught me something about myself today. I do care what someone else thinks. I care what my son thinks about me and how he sees me in relation to the world. I can’t change the things I have done. I wouldn’t want to. I can’t make Aidan like them. I wouldn’t want to do that either. So does it really bother me than that he thinks tattoos are gross. No. I think what bothers me is that there is unspoken thing maybe only perceived but from the day my babies were born I have always loved that even if to no one else to them you are perfect. You are the center of their universe and everything revolves around you. When I was in the hospital with Seark they used to bring him to my room every night around three am because no one could get him to stop crying. The instant he would hear my voice he would quiet down. When I held him it was like he just melted in my arms. When he looked at me I could see the love in his eyes. When Aidan was a baby he would watch me like a little baby stalker. No matter where I went his eyes followed me and they lit up every time they met mine. Rylan little as he is looks at me like he is in love. Until today I guess I never realized that my kids might have an opinion of me other than the one I thought they had. Maybe the thing that really hurts is that Aidan is growing up. I’m not the center of the world for him anymore. He is beyond seeing me with those little love struck eyes. Another milestone I’m not ready for in his life or mine.

Maybe I’m over thinking the whole thing.

When we got home Aidan said to me “I don’t think your tattoos are gross mom. I just want the girl I marry to not have any. And your married already so don’t worry about it.” 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment