Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Let's not play that game...

I am sure if you have a child old enough to manipulate a crayon you have been here….
MOM!!! MOM!!!! I MADE YOU A PICUTRE!!!
Oh yay, I can’t wait to see it!
HERE YA GO! GUESS WHAT IT IS???
Errrrrr….. Uh it’s a ….. let’s not play that play game. Why don’t you just tell mommy what it is?
NO! YOU HAVE TO GUESS! CAN’T YOU TELL?!
Uh yeah sure…. It is a uh ummmmm a potato? And multi colored party streamers?
What? It is not a POTATO! What are party streamers? (puppy dog eyes) How do you not know what that is… guess again?
Of course it’s not a potato! Mommy was kidding. I am no good at guessing games so let’s not play them (because I may crush your artistic spirit if this goes on any longer).
NO! Just one more guess PLEASE!!!!
It’s the planters peanut guy with a rainbow wig instead of a hat…. Ahhhh it’s his wife. It is a planters peanut girl!!!!
 It’s you… I made it brown like your make up. I gave you different color hair, you know like when you first dye it. It looks just like you.

Of course it’s me! Great job buddy!!! (Holy SHIT!!!! Brown like my make up?! Freaking rainbow hair?! My kid thinks I am a f*ucking circus clown!!!!)
I cannot even begin to tell you how many times we have played that game. It's the game with no winners. I am usually way off. Abstract art is apparently not my forte. In most cases even after I have been told what I am supposed to be looking at I struggle to see it. The four or five failed guesses make me question if I should visit the eye doctor or if my brain is losing cells with age. Worse they make my kids question their art and obvious talents.
 A few weeks ago my son was drawing a chart of various facial features that he was going to use to make new super heroes. He gave me and my husband the paper with several noses he had drawn and asked which one was best. One of the noses had a striking resemblance to a penis. The sight of this cartoon penis drawn amongst noses had me and my husband in tears from laughing so hard. My son bewildered and annoyed kept asking what was so funny. Obviously we couldn’t tell him. We were choking on laughter. We couldn't say anything. I reeled myself in and looked at my husband who had himself reverted back to  the state of an immature giggling boy and had two thoughts. One I will let him explain what is so funny. And two we are awful parents. I mean really who behaves like this?
STOP IT WHAT ARE YOU GUYS LAUGHING AT?!?! ARE YOU LAUGHING AT MY DRAWINGS?! YOU GUYS ARE SO MEAN!!! STOP LAUGHING!
Oh buddy you didn’t hear that … mommy farted!!!
No she didn’t mom said girls never do that.
That’s why it was so funny….

Thanks… great save. In hindsight I guess it was the conversation totally shifted and took a whole new silly turn. The focus was off the penis nose and our ability to act like mature adults. Aidan bought his dad’s crazy explanation. We were off the hook… this time. Aidan is really a very talented kid and his drawing ability is well beyond his years at this point. For the most part our days of “guess what I made for you?” with him are over. But now there is Seark, and the art by Seark segment is just beginning. After Seark will be Rylan.I would be lying if I said I wasn't  looking forward to many more years of awkward wrong answers.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice save Jay, you can't crush Aidan's artistic talents. Your blog is such a joy to read, makes me laugh out loud some days. Your expression of words brings us all into
    your life with the boys. It will be a blueprint of your boys as they grow and mature into outstanding men, Thanks to Mom and Dad!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. every now and then jason comes in handy hehe

    ReplyDelete