Monday, June 30, 2014

Summer days

Today was about as ordinary as a day can be. My sweet little Ry woke up at 5 am. If it wasn't 5 am he would be just about the cutest thing in the morning. His crib is next to my bed. He pulls the bumper the down just enough to peer over it with out getting up. I wake up every morning to his big blue staring at me. I pull the rest of the bumper down so I can see his face. Every day with out fail he has the biggest smile. Always so happy to see me. Always that big smile that lights up the dim bedroom. Always a diaper full of shit. Maybe it is more of a haha your waking up to a steaming pile of baby shit smile. Either way it is insanely cute.

Every morning I change Rylan's diaper. Feed him and beg that cute little face to go back to bed. For just a little while. I am always so tempted to just put him in bed with me because I know the chances of him falling back asleep are greater if I just nurse him in bed. But I don't. I used to do that with Aidan. Frequently. He also fell off the bed. Frequently. When Aidan was a baby we had a bed that was very low to the ground. So although you don't want your baby to fall off the bed if they are going to it helps if the fall is not terribly far. Seark fell off the bed way less. By the third baby I swore there would be no more falling off the bed. And so far so good. Well except that one time. Rylan didn't exactly fall. Not off the bed anyway. He fell in between the bed and the crib and kind of just got stuck. Fortunately not hurt. Just stuck. After that incident I decided there would be no more getting him back to sleep in my bed. So I put him back in the crib and he peers over the bumper staring at me like a cute little creep. Sometimes he falls back asleep. The majority of the time he doesn't. Today he didn't.

So I got up for the day at 5 am with Rylan. Seark came sprinting in my room around 7. Seark loves to cuddle. He is so lovey in the morning. It is really very sweet. One of my favorite parts of our morning. Aidan lately has been sleeping late. Like until 9 ish. I take Ry and Seark down stairs for breakfast while we wait for Aidan to wake up. Aidan is a real pleasure in the morning. He comes storming down the stairs. Disgruntled and disheveled. Yelling about how you should have waited for him to get out of bed before coming down. He gets over it quickly. Mostly because he has no choice. I give him a full 5 minutes to indulge in a pity party and then that's that. Snap out of it or deal with the consequences. After all I have been up for 4 hours already and the last thing I want to hear is whining.

Today just like every other day from the minute Aidan's feet hit the floor he wants to know what is on the agenda. What are we doing? Where are we going? Who can he have over? I told him last night on the way home from his friends house that we could have that same friend over the next day. So from 9 am until I text this kids mother all I hear is... did you call? Are you gonna call? Can you text his mom? Face time her? Snap chat? Drive by their house? I can do all of those things if I wanted to be brought up on stalking charges. Just relax. Eat breakfast. Digest. I will call at a reasonable time.

Aidan's friend came over around noon. He is one of those very rare. One in a million little friends that is an absolute pleasure to have over. He comes to play with Aidan but gets along with Seark as well and includes him in everything which hardly ever happens. Most 7 year old boys cant be bothered with the 3 year old brother. So after drawing comics and discussing the amount they may be able to sell them for. Eating pizza. Playing the x box. Doing a puzzle. Having me hide toys so they can find them. Entertaining Rylan.... they want to know what is next? Can we go to the pool? As much as I would love to take them to the pool. I am one person. I have four children with me and only two arms. So the pool is out. How about the park? Can we go to the park? Ummmmm we can. But it is really hot out. Like 90 and humid. I think it is a little to hot for the park today. Outside? Can we just go outside? Sure go out side. I fill up the very small baby pool. Three water guns and what the heck leave the hose running for them.

I sat by the front door with Rylan and watched the three boys play in the grass. They took turns spraying each other and themselves with the hose. They had so much fun. They were laughing and running and laughing some more. The hose actually kept them occupied for 2 whole hours. Watching them play brought me right back to my child hood. For a minute or two I longed to be 7 again. Running around topless being sprayed by a hose in my front yard. Kidding... I am totally kidding. I longed to 7 again because they looked so incredibly happy and care free. I can not remember the last time I felt that good. Sure I am happy. But being sprayed with an ice cold hose on a hot summer day doesn't exactly send me into euphoria but I remember the days when it did and how great is felt to be a kid especially in those first few weeks of summer after school got out. I snapped as many pictures as I could while juggling Rylan who was turning into cranky jello. Trying to capture the moment. The happiness. The summer fun I so miss.

I was almost completely lost in my thoughts of carefree summers when one summer memory flooded my mind just like the hose water that was making a mud bath on my freshly landscaped front lawn. I was probably Aidan's age at the time. I was in the pool with my cousins when one of them dropped a black piece of fuzz down my bathing suit while yelling spider. I jumped out of the pool like the water had suddenly turned into acid. Ripped my one piece tye dye bathing suit off (it was the 80's). It would have been bad enough if I stayed in the back yard naked and hysterical just in front of family. No I went streaking. Screaming and screeching GET IT OFF OF ME!!! GET THE SPIDER OFF OF ME!!! As I tore through the yard and dashed up the walk way to the front yard completely naked I came face to face with my mail man. The same mail man that I would have well into my 20's. Which is really neither here nor there. Except for maybe my summers weren't so great. I mean I get a little joke but you think someone would have told me there was no spider before it went so far. If that same scenario were to happen now the joke would totally be on them. Seeing me naked and frantic after 2 c sections and breastfeeding 3 babies would most likely scar them for life.

Anyway today was completely ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. You ever experience something seemingly benign and yet so wonderful that as it is happening you just know it is one of those things you are going to remember the rest of your life? That is what happened to me today. Summer has just begun. I hope for my kids sake and mine we have many more of these carefree summer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment