Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Calling all moms!!! Are you up for the challenge???

I am a thirty something year old mom. I write a blog. I am a dime a dozen. I became a mom because all I could ever see in my future was a family. I am mom because everyday I am up for the task. I take good care of my kids. I love them beyond any love I have ever known. I teach them. To be good people. To have manners. About the world. Through experience. I feed them. Healthy food. I say no to bad choices. I make them try new things. I dress them. Not always in what I like but what they pick because they should have the freedom of expression. I read to them. Encourage them to read. Do my best to instill a love for learning. I color with them and praise their artistic abilities. I put them in time out. Often. For a number of things. Why? Because they learn from it. Its not a punishment it's a consequence. Most times a much needed breather. A chance to regroup. Think about what you did. Apologize. I limit their TV time. The internet is off limits. They will get an Ipod when they can pay for the apps themselves with money they earned. Video games are timed. 2 hours.  A week. Only age appropriate games. Even if they are lame. I take them to local parks most days of the week. Because they should be outside. I make them eat dinner at the table and talk about their day even they spent it with me. I hold my kids a lot. I hug them more than they want to be hugged. I tell them I love them even when are not behaving because that is when they need it the most. I praise them for a job well done. I follow through with the consequences of unacceptable behavior. I put my phone away. I listen when they talk. I try my best. It's not always easy. I am tired. I hate repeating myself. I wish they would just listen. But they don't. So I do what I have to do to get through to them. I refuse to let the TV, XBOX, Ipod, or internet be a babysitter even if it means I have to work harder to keep them engaged. I refuse to let them be desensitized by violence in video games. Get lost in on line relationships. Break from the world we live in because of the virtual one we have access to. I am not perfect. Neither are they. But I still try. Everyday.

I write a blog. Because I love to write. I have a lot to say. I need something that is just for me.  It makes me sit down and do something other than clean the house and wash endless piles of laundry. I started this blog for me. My kids. When they older it will be a nice record of my memories neatly organized for them.

I am a mom blogger. One of thousands. My voice small. I only have a handful of readers that return daily to read what I write. I wanted to write something moms could relate to. My intentions simple. They have shifted. If only for today I want to use this platform for something else. To change the world. I know that sounds crazy. I live by the saying "be the change you want to see". And so today I am setting out to change the world. Starting with our kids. See as parents we have this very unique opportunity to make the world a better place. Our children are the future. We need to invest in them like we would a stock that is about to sky rocket. The summer is approaching. The school year coming to an end. Kids have more free time during the summer than any other time. Lets put that time to good use. Make a commitment to our selves. To our kids. There is no time like the present so lets start today.

 1. Put the phone away when your with the kids. Be present instead of distracted. It's not enough to just be there. They know the difference.
2. Take less pictures and live more in the moment. Often we miss the little things trying to get the perfect shot. Your mind is an amazing thing. Let the memories live in there.
3. Replace video games with board games and play with them. It's more fun than you think.
4. Make dinner and eat as a family (even if you are only a family of two). Scratch that don't even make it. Order a pizza. Just sit down together and eat. The conversation will follow.
5. Limit exploring the internet in exchange for exploring the world. Fresh air is essential.
6. Read. Maybe your kids are too old to be read to. Make them read. Anything. And tell you about it.
7. Listen. Even if you don't care about what they are telling you. Kids need to be heard to feel important. They are important. Make them feel it.
8. Hug your kids. Hugging reduces the risk of heart disease. Relieves stress and calms nerves. It is good for your relationship. Do it for the good of both of you.
9. Lead/ live by example. Be mindful of your actions and your mouth. They hear. See. Take in. and mimic more than you imagine.
10. Make memories. Everyday. Most of my childhood memories are very benign. Grand gestures are great. And unnecessary. It's the little things that matter. Let them remember the love they felt everyday. In the note you left in their lunch box. The extra ice you put in their drink. Their favorite book you happily ready several times a night for months on end.

Calling all moms... If you think you can commit leave a comment. Share it with your mom friends. Let's make the world a better place. Starting with our kids. Are you up for the challenge? I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment