Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Super hero shoe whore

Before I had kids I had... a different life. I had a closet full of expensive designer clothes. Handbags. I was a hoarder of all things COACH. I owned hobos, carryalls, satchels, clutches, slings, totes, wristlets, you name it I had it. In every color. Material. Signature collection. One for every occasion. The only thing that I loved more than bags... shoes. Absolute 100% shoe whore. Platforms. Wedges. Stilettos. Boots. Oh. My. God. My love for boots is just insane. Michael Kors. BCBG. Steve Madden. Gucci. Calvin Klein. Uggs. And of course the coveted. Mother of all designer shoes. The red bottom super sexy Christian Louboutin!

Designer handbags got traded in for designer diaper bags. Which lead me to forsake COACH for a fling with Kate Spade. As much as I love COACH they just do not make a functional diaper bag. Which is really a shame because I am usually brand loyal. I don't know much about Kate Spade other than that her Stevie diaper bag must have been designed by a mother. It is the most fabulous diaper bag. Ever. Super Stylish. Perfectly sized. Functionality at its best. I have three. Why three? Excellent question... I have no idea. It is just really the perfect bag. That comes in too many enticing patterns... and I want them all. My bank account gently reminds me from time to time that I can not have them all... but a girl can dream.

Platforms, wedges and stilettos are words that do not even belong in my vocabulary anymore. I walk past them in the store and sigh remembering a time in my life when they gave me a high. Flip flops are now my go to. My shoe rack may have lost its sex appeal but not its sense of fashion. Ridiculous as it may be I am still a slave to a designer label. So I maybe rockin' flip flops even in weather that is not appropriate for them but the bottom says COACH.

Since having kids something else has also changed. I have a hard time justifying spending and exorbitant amount for anything on me. My love for shoes has not changed just shifted. I went from a sex in the city type of shoe whore to more of a mom shopping for three boys super hero shoe whore. Definitely not the same high but satisfying nonetheless. We have light up Captian America and Iron man. Spider man with laces that look like webs. Crocs in all different colors with super hero jibbitz. And then the other day I came across baby super hero shoes. Spider man crib shoes by stride rite to be exact. Oh yes there it was. The high I used to get from Gucci. That old familiar feeling I had so missed. Over soft bottomed crib shoes for a baby that does not walk. Nor does he like or have any knowledge whatsoever of who spider man is. Either way they are about the cutest things I have ever seen! Moments like this I realize beyond anything else I am a mom. A mom of three boys. I might not have anywhere to where my designer shoes while chasing around a toddler and soon to be mobile baby.  My closet is full of things that don't resemble who I am today at all. Still I can't part with them. At heart I will always be a shoe whore.        

No comments:

Post a Comment