Monday, August 18, 2014

You have how many kids?!

Last week I was in the mall with the boys. Sitting on a bench. Aidan on my right reading the comic book that he just bought . Seark on the left playing with his new mini mates. Ry in the stroller decorating the floor with cheerios. Everyone was quiet and content as we waited for my husband to meet us there. Plenty of people walked passed without giving us a second look. Some stopped and fussed over the baby or complimented their behavior. I got the usual oh my three boys! Nothing out of the norm until an older man late 60's I would guess walked right up to me and said "what are you attempting to repopulate the world or do you just really like having babies?" No hint of humor. No smile. No kind eyes. Straight sarcasm! Normally I am very quick on my feet. Witty. Always know what to say. Not today. It took me a minute to even process what he had said because it was so unexpected! I stared at this grumpy old man with my mouth in the fly catching position unable to utter even a single word. Not that he waited. I assume the question was rhetorical as he walked away before I could come up with any type of response.

Repopulate the world? I wasn't aware that such a thing needed to occur. Like having babies?! What the fuck?! Like seriously... WHAT THE FUCK?!

People can be so strange. Rude. Inconsiderate. Prying. I am not sure what makes anyone else think that they are entitled to say what ever comes to their head. Like "are they all yours?!" or "Bless your heart with ALL THOSE BABIES" and the latest "Are you trying to repopulate the world?"

One: Yes they are ALL mine. I am not the baby sitter. The Aunt. Cousin. Sister. Friend. No this is not a play date. Class trip. Whatever. No I am not trying to make my own baseball team. I don't even watch it but I do know you need at least nine players and I don't have anywhere near that many kids! And if I did it would still be none of your business.

Two: I don't know if you are seeing double or maybe confused but I only have 3 children. Which is really not that many. Nor is it uncommon. Three well behaved children that are being loved. Raised. Well cared and paid for by me and my husband. Yes we are aware they are expensive and that college is too.

Three: Yup they are all boys. Yes I know I am going to have my hands full. For god sake skip the sad face. I am not disappointed about it and you shouldn't be either... mostly because will never see you again.

Four: No they weren't "accidents". Yes I have heard of birth control. I surely know where babies come from and how mine all came to be. Finally all the above is none of your business.

Five: If you see a mom out with multiple children unless you feel compelled to tell her how beautiful her children are or that she is doing a wonderful job with them... MOVE ON! Having kids and more than one is decision that is made with consideration by a family not something that happens by accident. We know what we signed up for and are happy about it even if you find that hard to believe.

 So to the grumpy old man if I had more that a second to gather my thoughts I would not have bothered to explain any of this to you because you aren't worth my time but I would have totally called you an asshole... with a smile on my baby lovin' face!

No comments:

Post a Comment