Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The night lights up when I am with you

Most years you can see the Macy's Fourth of July fireworks from right out side our door. Which is really nice because we are far enough away from the city that you can't hear them but close enough to have the perfect view. Not this year. They decided to move them to a different location.

There is a fair a few miles away from us every year that does fireworks for 3 or 4 nights in a row leading up to and following the holiday. Those fire works are loud enough to wake from you from sleep but not visible from where we are. This past week end I was up late... I am always up late. Anyway I was up when the fireworks from the fair went off. Seark was in bed but not in a deep sleep when he heard them and came running downstairs. He sat beside me on the couch listening to the loud booms. After each one he became more wide eyed. He hadn't said a word until he asked ... " You can take me to see dem?"  

I looked at the clock. It was almost midnight. Looked at Seark. So sweet and sincere staring at me with his perfect little face. Okay. Hurry up and grab your shoes. I threw on my flip flops and ran out of the house with Seark in my arms. Both in our pajamas. Which is totally acceptable for a 3 year old... not so much a 33 year old. There was no time to get dressed the firework display only lasts about 10 minutes and they had to be 5 minutes in already.  We got in the car and drove down to the park by the river where I knew we would have the perfect view. Normally there are lots of people there to do the same but not tonight. It was just me and Seark. 

We sat together on a dark bench near the water. Just me and this little love. He rested his head on my chest with his tiny hand clasped in mine. We watched the bright burst of color exploding before us. Each one bigger and louder than the last. It was only seconds before the finale. The sky taken over by neon streaks and a roar that was almost deafening. We sat there watching the smoke dissipate. Seark leaned over and said... Mommia, the night lights up when I am witchoo. 

I wanted to tell him. My life. My world. My everyday. Every breath. Everything. Lights up when I am with you. I wanted to tell him how the sound of his little voice melts my heart. That he was the best and biggest surprise of my life and I just love everything.... absolutely everything about him. Of course he is 3 and that would have been a little much. I just smiled and tried not to get choked up. Kissed him on the forehead and carried him back to the car. 

He fell asleep on the couch with in minutes of us coming home. I watched him sleeping. All the while wishing I could freeze this night. Hoping that he remembers the night the sky lit up when he was with his mommia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment