Monday, July 28, 2014

Oh... so mom is a bum?

Dad what's a bum?
Some one who doesn't have a job.
Oh... So mom is a bum?
No. A bum is someone who doesn't have a job and doesn't want one.
So mom could be a bum she doesn't want a job... right mom?
No. Mom is unemployed. There is a difference.

Unemployed?! what. the. @! $#. is my husband thinking??? Unemployed?! I am not out of work or with out a job. I didn't get laid off or fired. I might not receive a paycheck every week but I sure as hell deserve one. I might not get up every morning and head out to an office. But that is only because my work is at home. My office is whatever room I am working in at the moment. My boss is not a middle aged suit wearing man that I can choose to ignore. I answer to not one but three people that scrutinize everything I do. Three people that have no problem complaining that I am not fast enough. I didn't do it right. Three people that need my constant attention Pfffff.... unemployed!

Seeing the look on my face my husband began to back track saying that "mom isn't unemployed. She is a stay at home mom". To which Aidan replied... "what does that mean? What is her actual job?" Before my husband was in any deeper I thought I would answer this one.

"My job is you. My job is Seark. My job is Rylan. A stay at home mom is a care giver. A referee. A cook. A dry cleaner. An artist. A reading and math tutor. A taxi. A chaperone. A maid. An accountant. A financial planner. A personal shopper. A mentor. An advisor. A therapist. A confidant.  The stay at home part is somewhat deceiving since it is a rare occasion that we actually spend a day in the house. My job is to take care of your every need. To make sure you are a well rounded. Healthy. Educated. Productive member of society someday. My job is to teach you what you will need to know to make your way through the world and make it a better place. I left my career to stay at home and be your mom. Full time. My job is to make it all look effortless and apparently I am doing a good job since it doesn't look to anyone like I am working at all. But that's ok because I know that someday part of this job will be to let go. To let you go out into the world and find out what job there is for you with out me. And that will be the most difficult part of this job. So for now I will enjoy this job even if no one else knows what exactly I do. And some day I know you realize all the work that went on behind the scenes. But that won't be until you have kids of your own..."

So your not a bum?

No comments:

Post a Comment