Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The beauty in you

The other day I went to that make up class I talked about in the last blog. At the class we were paired with a partner to do a practice consultation. I went first. Asked her all of the questions on the sheet that they gave us.

What is your current make up routine?

What would you like me to help you with?

What feature do you want to highlight?
What feature would you like to minimize?

What colors do you tend to use?

What colors do you stay away from?

What do you like most about your face?

What do like least?

What do you have to gain from this?

She went through her routine. Told me what she likes what she doesn't like. The colors she uses and the ones she wont. When I asked her what she liked most about her face she hesitated and said I guess my eyes. Then I asked what she liked least and with no hesitation she said... my lips...my nose... my skin... I am so pale...

Then it was my turn. I went through my routine which seemed ridiculously long. What did I want to minimize? Nothing I could think of. What did I like the least? I said nothing. To which she replied...really?! Nothing?! There is nothing you don't like about yourself!

Well she didn't ask if there was anything I didn't like about myself because to that I probably could have came up with plenty. Like my boobs... I would like them to be back where they were when I was in my twenties. And my ass... I would be just delighted if some could just take a shrink ray gun and make it half the size. Is there any quick fix to getting rid of stretch marks? If so I will help myself to some of that too! Oh and a tummy tuck. I never loved my stomach but after 3 babies and 2 c sections it makes me a little nauseous. But she asked specifically about my face. And while I realize I am no beauty queen... I kinda like my face. Enough anyway to not complain about it.

For a minute I thought maybe I should change my answer and just say something. I thought shit I probably sound really full of myself which I am not but she doesn't know me. There was this awkwardness between us for a minute or two. And thankfully our time was up and we were onto the next thing. But for the rest of the class I couldn't stop thinking about that question and how she reacted to my answer.

Shouldn't we all love the skin we are in? Its sad that hearing someone say so is not the norm. We are all our own toughest critic but at some point and I am glad for me that it has been sooner than later I have really for the most part stop beating myself up for the things that genetics gave me. We live in a world where nothing is ever good enough. There will always be someone prettier than me... skinnier than me.... has perkier boobs than me... whiter teeth... a smaller ass.... a flatter stomach... the list goes on... so when I say there is nothing about me that I like the least it doesn't mean that I know there are things I could improve upon it just means... I like  me as is. Imperfect.

I like my ridiculously dramatic make up. My shaved head. My faded tattoos. My fat ass. I like getting dressed even if  my clothes will never be a size 2. And more than that I like that I don't give a fuck.... and not because I am perfect but because I am not and that is how it should be. I think if everyone stopped feeling bad about themselves cause be they don't live up to the impossible standards imposed by society the world would be a lot happier. Before you can truly see the beauty in anything else you have to see it in you.



No comments:

Post a Comment