Sunday, October 19, 2014

I am a liar...

Tonight I took Aidan to Barnes and Noble to buy a Halloween book for his book report that is due in 2 days. Yes 2 days and we just bought the book tonight. Then came home and didn't even read it. But before I get to that... while we were at the book store I came across these adorable Anne Geddes baby's first year books. I never filled one out for Seark let alone Rylan. The books were in the bargain bin. They were so cute and at $7.00 who could pass them up. Clearly not me.

Of course after we get home the first thing I need to do is start filling out these books. Seark is 3 1/2 it really could wait another day. But no. Now I have these books and there they are sitting there staring at me. Making me feel like a bad mom for not having filled one out yet. So I put the kids to bed and begin to fill out the book for Seark first.

The first few pages are easy. Moms name. Dads name. Who did you tell first that you were expecting me? Where was I born? On what day? Time? Weight? Easy Peasy. The first time you saw me smile? hmmmm I remember it. Clear as day. It was early in the morning. Seark was laying in bed with me. I was talking to him and tickled just under his chubby little chin and there it was like a ray sunshine his first purposeful beautiful gummy little smile. But how old was he? a few weeks? A month? Gosh I can not remember. So I break out the photos that I just recently got printed and there it is... Seark's first smile. Well his second one.... but the picture was taken only seconds after his first smile so.... close enough. But of course there is no date on the picture and I no longer have the phone or memory card that I took it with but he looks I'd say a month old. So I go back to the book. Fairly confident that Seark was a month old and go to write that... 1 month. But no... the book is asking for a date. I know for sure it was a Saturday morning because Jason was home. Or maybe a Sunday. Definitely a weekend day. Around the one month mark. Break out the calendar... yup must have been June.... Oh my god... am I really making shit up for the sake of filling out this book? Yes. Yes I am. Because who writes guesstimates in there baby's first year book. The only year that you are required to keep a record of dates.... and I didn't do it.

But who cares. I mean in the end the book is really for me. I doubt Seark is ever going to ask for it and be disappointed that it is not entirely accurate. Right? Right. Or wrong. And if wrong will he feel slighted by the lack of information. Oh screw it... June 5, 2011. Moving on.... first laugh? first time I rolled over? First tooth? First time I had food? Shit. Well they must be asking them in somewhat chronological order that these things typically happen... so lets go from there. I turn the page... first bath? What?! He definitely had a bath before his first laugh. And for sure long before he could roll over! What kind of book is this?! Not even a ball park time line?! I skip to the last page. Now that I am one (or 3 1/2) what were the most memorable things about this year... well not the dates. And damn it I feel bad about that. Not tonight but inevitably I will fill out this book even if I have to make it up. And that's what it comes down to... I am a liar.

But why... does the fact that I can not remember the dates make me a bad mom? No. Or at least I hope not. No. No. It doesn't. I sit staring at the blank pages for a few more minutes and decide to put Seark's book on hold for now... maybe some of it will come to me at a later date... unlikely but hey... here's to hoping.

I open Ry's book and get through the first few pages as easily I did Seark's. Then there it is... first smile? First smile. When did Rylan first smile? Oh my god I have to remember this one... it was not even that long ago! I go to my phone. Scroll through 2,793 pictures and aaaaaah there it is. Rylan's first smile. Time stamped October 27, 2013. Well at least I don't have to lie about that one but it's not looking promising for the rest of this book. And so again I might have to be liar...

But a liar is not who am I ... is it? It would be easier and less stressful to just write down the details that I remember about those events instead of the dates. And what is with all the dates anyway?! Who cares the date as long as I do remember that it happened. Whoever made this damn adorable Anne Geddes book... that's who. Well thank god these books were only $7.00 because the anxiety they are causing me may land them in the trash. I will just have to make my own book of baby's first... one that only asks... to the best of your memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment