Tuesday, February 24, 2015

you and your make up selfies

Some people like to post make up selfies like others brag about their kids! Don't like it... keep scrolling. (or something to that effect)
You ever scroll past a Facebook post that you know was directed at you? Well clearly it happened to me and I have to say I was pissed for like a second.... okay maybe 30... seconds. And then I was like well its true. I post "make up selfies" more than I guess at least one person in particular likes to see. And certainly more than I brag about my kids. Don't get the wrong idea I love my kids and they are fucking brilliant little geniuses that are gonna rule the world one day (this prediction is totally based on how well he is doing in second grade of course) ... or maybe they won't ... either way THEY ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK! And while I would love to believe that all of my Facebook friends are dying to hear about how I have produced stellar off spring that will most likely have the highest scores anyone has ever seen on the SAT's its just not the case. Nonetheless every time a school semester ends and report cards get sent home my news feed gets flooded with the same status update from every honor role child's parents.... "we are so proud of little Billy. All straight A's" and then all of the other parents with similar posts comment "way to go little so and so" on each other's statuses. Truthfully no one gives a shit. No one gives a shit about your kids A just like no one gives a shit about my kids F.
Yup that's right an F! and in this house F stands for Fantastic so our kids basically did the same. Yours just got a different letter on that paper they sent home... and ya know what last marking period my kid did actually get straight A's and I still didn't brag about it... know why? Cause NOBODY CARES! I mean except of course you and you should care. But I don't... I'm sorry.
So her post may have been in response to something I posted along the lines of what I already stated here.... but much milder... and wasn't directed at any one particular person. Our district wasn't even the only one to get report cards that week.... whatever the case my face is out of her news feed now and her bragging is not in mine anymore.
But it did make me pause and think how many friends well "Facebook friends"  do I have that are rolling their eyes every time one of my make up selfies comes up in their news feed?! And then I realized I don't care. It could be worse I could be filling up your feed with my kids test scores.
So anyway all of this petty nonsense got me to thinking about how social media makes it so much easier to be an asshole. I mean would this person that I rarely speak to in person have ever actually said something to my face about how my pictures annoy her? Or is it just that much easier to say what's on your mind no matter how rude when you are behind the screen of your computer or iPhone or whatever it is you use? Combined we have 600 friends that could read what she wrote.... if we were in a room of 600 people would she have gone out of her way to announce to all of them exactly what she thought of me? I doubt it... but you never know.
I read something in another article that asked the question "is social media making us rude or just giving us a platform to show our true colors?" Another article claimed that social media "facilitates meanness " because there is no immediate if any real consequence for the mean things you say on line. If you have been on Facebook you have certainly seen some of what I am talking about.... so what does this mean? Its a little scary to think about all of the future generations that don't know a life with out Facebook... a time when words really meant something and you were taught to think before you speak.
BTW the picture here is a make up selfie... more specifically my " is she talking about me" make up selfie face.

No comments:

Post a Comment